Abstract: This study examine the indispensible science of fabricating poly (vinylidene fluoride) (PVDF) as a hydrophobic polymer which can produced via the phase inversion method for membranes and film formation well as a strategy to fabricate a nano and micro size of PVDF films for further applications . A series of isothermal ternary phase diagrams of PVDF/solvents/nonsolvent systems were prepared. The binodal curves were gained by testing each point three times via simple titration method. Evidence of SEM imaging and AFM topology of membranes indicate different nano and micro structure on the surfaces and bulk of PVDF membrane. Based on this research which can be used as a fundamental research for any film and membrane applications; predicting the desire morphology membranes and films with specific amount of polymer and type of non-solvent is feasible.
Keywords: PVDF, Nano and Micro Structure, Film Formation, Membrane Applications
- Danielle L Graham, Scott Edwards, Ryan K Bachtell, Ralph J DiLeone, Maribel Rios & David W Self, Dynamic BDNF activity in nucleus accumbens with cocaine use increases self-administration and relapse, Nature Neuroscience 10, 2007, 1029–1037.
- Guo-dong Kang, Yi-ming Cao, Application and modification ofpoly(vinylidene fluoride) (PVDF) membranes – A review, Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 463, 2014, 145-165.
- Mimi Tao, Lixin Xue, Fu Liu, Lei Jiang, An Intelligent Superwetting PVDF Membrane Showing Switchable Transport Performance for Oil/Water Separation, advanced materials,26, 2014, 2943–2948.
- Chenggui Sun, Xianshe Feng, Enhancing the performance of PVDF membranes by hydrophilic surface modification via amine treatment, Separation and Purification Technology, 185, 2017, 94-102.
- FengtaoChen, Xingxing Shi, Xiaobing Chen ,Wenxing Chen, Preparation and characterization of amphiphilic copolymer PVDF-g-PMABS and its application in improving hydrophilicity and protein fouling resistance of PVDF membrane, Applied Surface Science,427, 2018, 787-797.
- TamilselviM.Hema, Conductivity studies of LiCF3SO3 doped PVA: PVDF blend polymer electrolyte, Physica B: Condensed Matter, 437, 2014, Pages 53-57.
- Bottino,G.Capannelli,S.Munari,A.Turturro,Solubilityparametersofpoly (vinylidene fluoride), J.Polym.Sci.,PartB:Polym.Phys.26, 1989, 785–794.
- Yeow,Y.Liu,K.Li, Morphological study of poly(vinylidene fluoride) asymmetric membranes :effects of the solvent, additive, and dope temperature, J.Appl.Polym.Sci.92(2004)1782–1789.
- AntoineVenault, Melibeth Rose B.Ballad, Yu-Tzu Huang, Yi-Hung LiuaChi-HanKaob,YungChang, Antifouling PVDF membrane prepared by VIPS for microalgae harvesting, Chemical Engineering Science, 142, 2016, 97-111.
- Strathmann, P. Scheible, R. W. Baker, A rationale for the preparation of Loeb-Sourirajan-type cellulose acetate membranes, Applied Polymer, 15, 1971 Pages 811–828.
- Da-Ming Wang, Juin-YihLai, Recent advances in preparation and morphology control of polymeric membranes formed by nonsolvent induced phase separation, Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering, 2, 2013, 229-237.
- Ju Tae Jung ,Jeong F.Kim , Ho Hyun Wang, Emanuele di Nicolo , Enrico Driol ,Young Moo Lee , Understanding the non-solvent induced phase separation (NIPS) effect during the fabrication of microporous PVDF membranes via thermally induced phase separation (TIPS), Journal of Membrane Science, 514, 2016,250-263
- Ayman Taha Abd El-aziem El-gendi, Phase Diagram and Membrane Desalination, chapter 3, PP.2003, 37-77.